Tips & Resources
Ways to Reduce your Air-Conditioning Usage
When you decide to turn on the air-conditioner it will run most efficiently if:
- The refrigeration system is maintained and in good order.
- Ducting is well insulated and kept clean (check your ducting for cleanliness and that there are no air leaks).
- Only the rooms that are used are cooled.
- The roof insulation is in good order.
- The doors and windows are closed.
- Exhaust fans seal when not running.
- Windows have curtains drawn or closed to help regulate temperature.
- Fans are used to circulate air.
- Temperature is not set too cold.
- Filters are kept clean.
- Use the timer function on your system so that the air-conditioner is not left running (set the timer to turn off at a suitable time in the evening).
- Don’t run the air-conditioner all the time during the cooler months, instead open doors and windows.
- Natural ventilation is the healthiest and cheapest way to cool your home. It helps to remove heat and cools your body through evaporation.
- If your condenser is in the hot sun look at ways to shade it, this will help its cooling efficiency.
Contributed by: Annie Guthrie
Become a Volunteer
Would you like to find out more about volunteering on projects working to support Our Biosphere? There are many great ways you can contribute, we’re always looking for volunteers. Get in touch today!